Create an account.Register at www.usajobs.gov. If you have never used USAJOBS you must first create an account. Otherwise sign in to your existing account.
Find the right job for you.On USAJOBS, research all Federal Bureau of Prisons job announcements for your ideal position.
Prepare for and fulfill application requirements.
- Read the full announcement on USAJOBS prior to beginning your application.
- Ensure you have all required documents ready and meet all qualifications.
- Use the USAJOBS resume template to create your resume.
- Preview the application assessment questions.
- Refer to them when you build your resume.
- When answering application questions, choose the question that most applies to your experience and include as much detail as possible. Use the full word count.
- Ensure that all application answers you provide are accounted for in your resume.
- Once you submit your application, ensure you are categorized as "Best Qualified." This designation allows you to be considered for a position. If not, review the questions and your resume to ensure all information requested is included. Update and resubmit.
Upload your documents.
After selecting a job announcement, click the "Apply" button on the right announcement. This will take you to a page where you upload your resume and any applicable documents. Your resume should include the following information:
Include the following information:
- Announcement number
Provide your personal information:
- Full name
- Mailing Address
- Daytime phone number
- Evening phone number
- Social Security number
Include your education history:
- High school name, city, and state
- College or University names, cities, and states
List relevant work experience — for each include:
- Position title
- Duties and accomplishments
- Employer name and address
- Supervisor name and phone number
- Starting and end dates
- Hours per week
List job-related qualifications such as:
- Training courses (title and year)
- Certifications and licenses
- Honor and rewards
Current Federal employees must include a copy of their most recent performance appraisal that reflects performance in a position related to the one you are applying for.
If you are applying for a vacancy based on your competitive status or eligibility for reinstatement to competitive Federal service, include your "Notification of Personnel Action" (SF-50). This verifies that you are a career or career-conditional employee — or that you are eligible for reinstatement.
Complete your application.
You'll be directed to our website BOP-Careers. This website simplifies how we retrieve your information. And since you don't have to mail documents, saves you time and money. Complete the following items on BOP-Careers before you submit your application:
- Create a new BOP-Careers account or log in to an existing one. Your BOP-Careers account username and password are not tied to your USAJOBS account.
- Fill out your personal information and military service/veteran preference point eligibility.
- Click "Apply." Answer any questions about the announcement you are applying for.
- Click the "Finish" button to complete the application process. Doing so finalizes your application. To make changes after finishing, you must reapply.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE ON THE INSIDE.
The Federal Bureau of Prisons is committed to providing a candidate experience where you feel confident and prepared for the application process. Follow the steps below to apply now, and start your career on the inside.